We can all make a difference and every small bit counts! Here are some easy ways to become a more eco-friendly pet owner:
1. ADOPT FROM A SHELTER
Considering purchasing a new pet or perhaps another additional to you family? A great option is to adopt! Apart from the obvious fact that you will be saving the life of your new best friend. Adopting a pet frees up many resources that are required to run shelters, including; food, electricity, heating, toys and staffs hours.
There are many shelters which you can find by search near your location. a fantastic shelter in the GTA is Dog Tails Rescue and Sanctuary.
2. CARE FOR YOUR PET WITH SUSTAINABLE PRODUCTS
Your pet requires a lot of products from; food, treats, toy and care products. When selecting and purchasing these products keep in mind not only what the product itself is made from but also the packaging and how both will eventually be disposed of! The most eco-friendly option is to find a product that is recyclable. Dog poo is also another important topic! Not only the fact that you should always pick it up and dispose of in your green waste but also what you use to pick it up with. The most environmentally friendly option is a compostable bag (and yes there is a difference between biodegradable & compostable - see below)
3. WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR DOG POOP?
Dog poop is also another important topic! Throwing it in the trash isn’t an environmentally-friendly practice! The best way to dispose of your pets poop is in your green waste or compost. It is also important what you use to pick it up with, the most environmentally friendly option is a compostable bag and secondly a biodegradable bag. Yes, there is actually a difference between biodegradable and compostable:
- Biodegradable: That undergoes degradation resulting from the action of naturally occurring microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and algae. There is no reference to the amount of time needed for degradation or the type of physical and chemical quality attributes of the end product.
- Compostable : That undergoes degradation by biological processes during composting to yield CO2, water, inorganic compounds and biomass at a rate consistent with other compostable materials and leaves no visible, distinguishable or toxic.
4. FEED YOUR PETS SUSTAINABLE FOOD
Purchase food that is made from sustainable ingredients. Sustainability and eco-friendly are two phrase that are over used and to some extent abused by some companies to sell products that aren't what they claim! So how do you know if your pet food is sustainable - in short do your research! At Northern Hound we try to give our customers all the information they need to make an informed decision.
5. ENVIRONMENTALLY-CONSCIOUS TOYS
Plastic and stuffed toys are only to commonly destroyed in a matter of days or weeks. These are not only bad for our planet as they can be rarely recycled, they are sometimes harmful to our pets. Especially if accidentally ingested, a good alternative are toys made from natural materials such as duet. Consider recycling some of your used items and make them into your pets toys - like old balls, knotted T-shirts as pull toys, etc. - just make sure it’s safe!